Monday, December 8, 2008

Why Did the Rodents Cross the Path?





If we had more snow, these pathways would be tunnels, and I wouldn’t know the rodents were there. Last year, when the foxes were around, the voles, moles, and field mice were all but gone. I hope that the fact that they have built a divided highway to get across the stone path does not indicate a big increase in traffic. It‘s not just that I have an irrational aversion to little furry creatures scurrying around. I do, but it’s also that they also love to eat bulbs and plant roots.

Perhaps I’ll put up a sign.

RODENT PREDATORS WANTED: beautiful garden setting, friendly humans, and all the little brown furry critters you can eat. Experience a plus, but not necessary!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry..we're going to have a bumper crop of varmits this year. The acorns tell us so here in NC.

tina said...

A sign would be a good idea-hopefully the predators can read English? Good luck with eradicating them. Those trails are quite cool. We also have a problem with voles and chipmunks and squirrels here in my garden. So frustrating!

I am glad those pink poppies are your signature plant. A very good choice as they surely identify you. I simply love the header photo.