Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Well-behaved Curly Chives

The curly chives are blooming now. I don't know if they are always this late. I've never noticed.

I'm sure it's because this plant so pretty from early spring on, that the flowers are just the icing on the cake. The plant has curly leaves about a quarter of an inch wide. As time goes by they grow into a beautiful swirl, forming a cushion of green foliage. It's a low plant perfect for a spot in the front of a bed so it can show off. It looks great all summer. This clump is getting big enough that I need to think about dividing it. It is still round and flowering beautifully, but it is filling up its allotted space. I've read that the leaves have a strong onion flavor. I couldn't say. To me this plant is just too pretty to eat.

No comments: