Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Pet Peppermint Geranium

If you are unfamiliar with scented geraniums, let me tell you about this one. It's big fuzzy leaves have a wonderful peppermint fragrance. The scent is released whenever the plant is touched or watered. For a plant, it makes a very nice pet. Of course no pet is perfect and this plant is no exception. Here in upstate NY, it needs to be brought inside before frost. Some years when we have our gardening act together, we take cuttings and bring those in. This year is not one of those years and so a big pot will be necessary. It's growth is compact, but it is not a small plant.
(Picture a German Shepard not a St. Bernard.) It's time to move that job up on the list.

I'm pretty attached to this particular plant. I bought it on a trip to Caprilands back in 1993 when I was totally enthralled with herbs. I am pleased to see that Adelma Simmon's place is being restored. She signed the book I bought"all Garden Joys and Herbal Magic" as I'm sure she did everyone's. Yes! This plant is special!

No comments: