Friday, September 26, 2008

Composted Broccoli

Back in the spring the broccoli plants were set out in their newly prepared bed with their neat little cutworm collars. The best looking plants are always chosen and the straggly ones are set aside and saved in case something happens to the chosen plants. After that it's kind of out of sight out of mind. The extras get watered sometimes, but in the end they look even worse and finally end up in the compost. I'm pathetic when it comes to doing this and in this case I guess I put the plants along the edge and covered their roots with compost.

I clearly misjudged this plant. Now at the end of the season, in spite of the treatment it received, this plant has produced broccoli. You can't keep a good plant down! I will cut it and use it in a stir fry with pride.


This broccoli plant doesn't even have those ordinary green caterpillars. This Banded Tussock Moth caterpillar is working on its leaves. I always love to get a shot of a new caterpillar. He's really doing a number on that broccoli leaf. Yes, I left him there.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

What a lovely little caterpillar! Kind of a plant ornamentation!

Anonymous said...

Oh this makes me feel even worse about my failed broccoli!

I'm terribly jealous!