Sunday, June 29, 2008

"French Weed?"

My German friend Ingeborg calls this plant French weed. She claims that Napoleon brought this plant to Germany. If he did, he wasn't very nice! I've been pulling this one out since I was a child weeding in Grandmother's garden in Pennsylvania. As far as I know it grows everywhere. Getting this one before it can set seed is a noble goal. It pops up everywhere and is amazing at hiding among your desirable plants.

Most times when a gardener walks around in the garden a handful of weeds is collected. One could never walk past this one and not pull it. Sooner or later a garden stroll ends up at the compost pile. Caught in time this nasty weed can turn into something much better in its next life. Someone asked me once if I believed in reincarnation. I hesitated and said, "I'm not sure, but I definitely believe in composting!"

No comments: