Saturday, June 28, 2008

First Zucchini Blossom

The first zucchini blossom opened yesterday. It's the beginning of what I hope will be an avalanche of squash. I want enough so that I can have stuffed blossoms a couple of times.

Something is definitely missing from this picture. Usually one would be hard put to take a picture of a squash blossom without having a honey bee in the shot. This year I have seen bees, but not the oh-so-familiar honey bee. But someone has been there because the little squash are growing and without pollination that won't happen.

Last night we heard fireworks from the little town up the valley. We went out to look, but the hills were in the way of the fireworks. What we did see was the most amazing display of fireflies. I never remember there being so many of them here.

This morning I picked strawberries for breakfast, lettuce for lunch and snow peas for dinner. The bluebirds were in the garden so it was quite the thrill. It is cloudy so it was a great day for weeding. Some of the plants were being crowded by my volunteers that come up from seed. I pulled some of the dill and laid it out to dry and cut back the catnip and stripped it from its stems to dry. It gave the striped mallow some breathing room.

The leaves are turning and there is thunder in the air. Time to get in the tools!

No comments: